I decided to try something new for breakfast, another experiment. I kinda made it up as I went along.
- 5 large potatoes
- 5 tablespoons of oil (vegetable or olive will be fine)
- 1 cup of cheese (some extra for sprinkling)
- 12 egg
- sausage (crumbled, drained, and rinsed), I used a pound but had some leftover
- bacon (I used the real bacon crumble for the salad aisle)
- sour cream
- Fill a large bowl with some cold water and shred the potatoes with a cheese grater into the water. Once done drain and rinse the potatoes, squeeze out as much water as possible (I didn’t do this part and it made the cooking a little more difficult).
- Return the potatoes to the bowl. Add 5 tablespoons of oil (vegetable or olive) and 1 cup of cheese. Mix well
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and put a 1/3 cup of the potato mix into each cup. Press it down into the cup and up along the sides, creating a kind of potato cup. Don’t worry if it comes over the sides, it will bake down.
- Put in the oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until golden brown
- In another bowl scramble the 12 eggs.
- Put some of the sausage and bacon in to the potato “nest” and top with egg and then top with cheese.
- Put back into the oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until completely done.
- Top with sour cream
Now of course the sausage, bacon, extra cheese, and sour cream are all optional.
Michael liked the idea, said it needed salsa, salt & pepper. Katherine liked the ones that had the egg on the outside instead of the crunchy potato, Gabriella said it was good, and Allison had four of them. She loved them! I thought they were pretty good considering it tasted mostly like egg. I am not usually one to like eggs, I usually think they stink. Lily I don’t think she liked it, she just licked off the sour cream and ate her banana.
Overall it seemed to be a good breakfast, a lot of work, but good! Have you made anything like this? How did it turn out?