This is one dish that was always a huge hit our household growing up and it is still a huge hit now. It is also a dish that is always changing, because it is a casserole that you can add just about anything you want to it. My grandmother first made this and taught me how to make it, since them I have been having a blast trying something new all the time!
Grandma’s Breakfast Casserole
- 12 to 18 eggs (depending on the size of the dish)
- 1 – 2 cans of refrigerated biscuits (again depends on the size of the dish and with this one the size of the biscuit)
- 1 – 2 lbs of sausage, cooked, crumbled, rinsed (to get extra fat off), and drained)
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese (you can always add more)
- any extras you want such as, bacon, peppers, etc
- Spray a glass baking dish with non stick cooking spray. I used both a 13X9 and an 8X10
- Put the raw biscuits into the bottom of the baking dish. Flattening them as much as you can and spreading them together.
- Sprinkle cooked sausage on top of the dough along with any other ingredients you have added like bacon, pepperoni, etc
- Scramble together the eggs (12 eggs for the 8X10 and 18 for 13X9) and pour on top of the sausage (and any other ingredients).
- Generously put shredded cheese on top of the scrambled eggs
- Put in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the middle is no longer “wiggly”
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting
- Serve & Enjoy
I made two pans only because my sister, Charley, was coming over with her four kids and my mom was joining us. We had a few pieced still leftover the next day for my lunch. Lily has been going through this phase (or maybe she is teething) where she won’t eat most food, even cookies. She only ate bananas this night. Katherine loved her, especially since she could pick it up with her hands to eat. Allison also loved it and so did Charley’s kids. Gabriella just ate the middle, said she didn’t like the biscuit part or the cheese. She is weird, the cheese is the best part. Of course mom and Charley loved it. Michael always loved this from the first time I made it. I personally thought it could use more cheese.
How about you? What did your family think of it? What did you add extra to the recipe?